Friday, July 18, 2003

"Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day"

Maybe it's just me, but lately there has been nothing but shite debuting on the big screen. Solution: movie classics at rep cinemas!

I think the idea of seeing a classic movie in its big screen glory is a great idea. You don't pay much more than the cost of a rental and you get to go out and have the cinema experience. Plus, if you're a big fan of the movie to begin with you will be surrounded by fellow fans (a.k.a. fellow obsessives) who will know the in-jokes and quote the best lines with you.

I think my love of the big screen re-issue started when I saw Monty Python and the Holy Grail at the sadly deceased Eglinton West cinema in Toronto (not the multiplex, the old school cinema circa 1950 that was shut down because they couldn't afford the mandatory upgrades to make it wheelchair accessable. Political correctness gone too far me, IMHO). This was quickly followed up by The Godfather at Bloor Cinema, a cinema which fortunately is still up-and-running. (I hope? I haven't been in Toronto since early February).

The latest and greatest classic I've seen at the cinema was last night, when I saw Withnail & I again. I won't rave too much, but this quite possibly is the best movie ever made. After the Lord of the Rings trilogy mind you. Glasgow may not be the largest city in the world, but it is well represented by rep cinema in the form of both the CCA and the GFT , and they have both done a great job of screening old school classics.

My faith in cinema is restored.

No comments: