Sunday, January 25, 2004

Make the sweat drip out of every pore

My ears are ringing and my head is buzzing as I have now seen (finally!) The White Stripes in concert. Many of the things I’ve heard or read about the band are true. Meg is quite cute in person, Jack does wear tight trousers, and the two of them can in fact do more with one guitar and a drum kit than many bands can do a whole arsenal of instruments (and band members). And I don’t think you can really appreciate just what a guitar god Jack White really is until you see and hear him do his thing live. The band quite simply is pure rock n’ roll, and undeniably have that “it factor” as they’re so compelling to watch. Things almost took a turn for the worse during the encore when some stupid punter launched his shoe which then connected with Jack’s nose during “I Just Don’t Know What To Do With Myself” (a Von Bondies fan perhaps?). But he shook it off, and after playing a few more songs he returned to finish “I Just Don’t Know…” – the crowd was simply rapturous with their applause. Rawk on, indeed!

No comments: