Wednesday, October 15, 2003

It was just one of those things/I needed to do

And that thing was to attend the Athlete concert this past Tuesday night at the tiny stage area of The Garage nightclub (pronounced "Gare-ige" in these parts). With music as catchy as the flu, this band could do no wrong. They had about 500 people singing along with every word, for every song, to the point where it was more group karaoke than a concert. Even the band, who surely must have experienced it before, looked incredulous. Overall a great night, and an amazing chance to see a band in a small venue before they make it huge. They've already booked a return gig in the much larger Carling Academy for January.

In anticipation for our upcoming trip, Fi and I rented 101 Reykjavik, a fab art-house film set in Iceland. It's a heart-warming tale about a young man who falls for his mother's lesbian lover - one for the kids really.

A belated Happy Turkey Day to all my fellow Canadians. It is a real shame the Scots don't celebrate Thanksgiving because it is a great excuse for a good meal, red wine and getting folk together. I called my grandparent's place and managed to speak to many members of my extended family which was nice. It also turns out my brothers both got together in Ottawa for a mini-turkey dinner of their own. To think of them only a few years back fighting tooth-and-nail, but now enjoying a hearty meal together really does bring a smile to my face.

No comments: