Sunday, January 18, 2004

The Hardest Button to Button

Another step towards maturity perhaps? This past Saturday saw us “entertain”, which is to say have another couple over for dinner and drinks. A definite alternative to the norm for me, and a good bit of fun it was. We brought out the ol’ bruschetta/potato wedges/Vietnamese-style chicken curry combo. High on the impress-the-guests scale and low on the difficulty-to-prepare scale.

I’m due to see The White Stripes in concert next weekend. And at long last too, following the broken finger incident last summer which saw them pull out of T in the Park. However, it now seems as though Jack White has been charged with assault which reportedly may prevent the band from coming to the UK this week. This band may prove to be as hard to catch as a connecting train from Edinburgh.

I recently rented the Shrek DVD. I’ve always thought the movie was great, and I was pleased to discover that the DVD layout and special features are fantastic. But with recent experience in mind I can now safely say that Mike Myers does a terrible Scottish accent. And on that same note, I can never take Mel Gibson in Braveheart seriously again now that I know how the accent should sound. And don’t get me started on Groundskeeper Willie.

I had a reminder this weekend why it can be so great living in Scotland. The day was crispy cool and sunny, and after a quick 20 minute drive we were out of the city and into the proper Scottish countryside (glens and lochs and sheep). The route on this day was Ballageich Hill, more of a hike than a climb with stunning views of the city and the surrounding mountains. There has been a bit of snow lately, and I could clearly see the snow covered peaks of Ben Lomond and the Sleeping Warrior which is found on the Isle of Arran. After a few hours of letting it all sink in, we then grabbed a pint at a small country pub (The Swan in the town of Eaglesham) which could have come directly out of a cliched Scottish movie. Old men with big sideburns and jimmy hats (minus the shocking red hair) sitting around drinking pints of McEwan’s and discussing football. Fantastic.

No comments: