Saturday, July 03, 2004

Happy Belated 137th!

Canada Day has come and gone, and as expected there wasn't much in the way of celebration for the event in Fife. The best I could do was buy a bottle of "real Canadian maple syrup" (made in England) to pour over crumpets. However, everybody at my work is now aware that July 1st is in fact the birthday of the Great White North.

My thoughts couldn't help but stray to Canada Days in Ottawa, sharing a few beers at an impromptu Seanfest before heading downtown to see the crowds. Which subsequently summoned images of cottages in the summer, roadtrips through the Rockies or the Maritimes, Stompin' Tom and drinks at the Green Room.

Drew made my day in a huge way. A very wicked Canada Day package arrived in Glasgow on the 1st (impeccable timing that!) which included, among other things, the new Hayden album Elk-Lake Serenade which I listen to as I write this. Drew - much appreciated!

I guess I'm happy about the election results. The Liberals were sufficiently humbled, the Tories didn't get anywhere near the breakthrough they thought they would (thankfully), and the NDP has the opportunity to legitimately influence parliament for the first time in years. Hardly an inspirational campaign or result, but probably the best that could have come out of it.

T in the Park continues its unlucky streak of having one of their top acts pull out of the festival at the last minute. Last year it was the White Stripes (due to a broken finger), this year it is David Bowie (due to a pinched nerve). Lame injuries in both cases, but so it goes. Though to be honest, I'm not too bothered. I would have seen Bowie if he was there, but with The Darkness now taking top billing on the Main Stage, I will now be able to see both them and The Libertines on the NME stage which will probably be a lot more fun than pretending I'm really into Under Pressure or Ziggy Stardust.

No comments: