Sunday, December 21, 2003

Christmas Wrap-Up

This will be the first Christmas I’ll not be spending in Canada, which is quite strange and sad for me. But at the same time, it is equally strange and exciting to be spending it in France. I haven't been back to France for a few years now, and am very much looking forward to the return. Ambitious plans include the consumption of copious amounts of red wine and cheese, walks in the country, dominoes and hopefully a small kir in a petite brasserie.

Last night I saw Return of the King, which was needless to say a thoroughly phenomenal movie. I really let myself be immersed in the moment to the point where 3 hours and 20 minutes seemed too short. Truth be told, there were a few blink back the tears (and pretend you have a bit of dirt in your eye) moments. Now it's sad to think that it is all over. I’ve looked forward to each of the movies in the trilogy for so long now that it's strange to think there are no more. Well, until they make The Hobbit anyway.

The Darkness didn’t quite get their Christmas #1 this year, but neither did any of the other favourites. Out of nowhere, the cover of Mad World by Gary Jules (as featured on the Donnie Darko soundtrack) received some serious airplay, and the single sold enough to get the coveted top spot. Despite the fact that it’s been out for well over a year. Fair enough.

I would like to wish all of you a very happy holiday season. And to my fellow Canadians, enjoy a cup of egg nog for me – I’ve looked everywhere for it in Glasgow and it’s simply nowhere to be found.

No comments: