Sunday, December 07, 2003

An Extended Sunday

Long lies on a Sunday in Scotland can ensure you hardly see daylight. With the sun now beginning to set before 3pm, a sleep-in until noon represents less than three hours of sunlight. But now that I’m one year closer to 30, a heavy pub night on Saturday and the following sleep-in were the order of business.

My friend Steve informed me this week that he managed to obtain tickets to an advanced screening of Return of the King for the 15th. With my working away from the city, and a Christmas work party coming up, it is now likely that I won’t be seeing this film until at least the 20th. My envy towards Steven is great.

However, consolation came this Sunday morning as I searched the paper for movie listings for the afternoon. Turns out that one of the cinemas in Glasgow’s city centre was screening the extended version of Fellowship of the Ring. Needless to say, all other movie plans were put on hold. And was it ever brilliant to see this movie on the big screen again! In all its extended glory! It also turns out that they will be screening the extended version of The Two Towers next weekend. So not only do I not have to track the extended version down on DVD, but I can now see it in all its cinematic glory. I am now so psyched for ROTK it hurts.

As expected, Radiohead was excellent. They even played "Just" and "Fake Plastic Trees" this time. While their new material isn't as strong as some of their classics, it's made up for by Thom Yorke's crazy dance routine. Think epileptic seisures, but with rhythm.

Christmas shopping is nearly done, and all the packages that need to be sent overseas have been dropped off with Royal Mail. Which made me think – why is it that in Canada we get “mail” delivered by Canada Post whereas in the UK we get our “post” delivered by Royal Mail?

And only two more working weeks until the holidays. Due to the timing of Christmas, New Year’s and a Scottish bank holiday on the calendar, I end up getting a full two weeks off work. Which is honestly the best gift I could have asked for!

No comments: