Friday, April 30, 2004

Somewhere Only We Know

You'd never think a band consisting of only a vocalist, keyboardist, and drummer could really make such powerful music live, but Keane pulled it off brilliantly Tuesday night at their Glasgow QMU gig. For a band that has only released one single, they have already developed a dedicated group of fans, and rightfully so.

I first saw Keane open for the The Thrills last year. The opening band set typically is an opportunity to get a beer and chat with your mates but Keane captured the attention of the entire venue with their sound. When I heard they were touring on their own, I jumped at the chance to see them. And they did not disappoint!

I can safely say that vocalist Tom Chaplin is one of most amazing singers I have ever heard live. He unashamedly belts out his vocals and was always note perfect. Their songs are quite simply beautiful, and the track Somewhere Only We Know is possibly one of the most amazing songs I have ever heard. I have no doubt that this will have been my last chance to see Keane in such an intimate venue. In fact, the next time I see them will be a T in the Park on the NME Stage. Needless to say I am very excited about the second week of May when their first album, Hopes And Fears, is released. The new Ash and Morrissey albums are out the same week.