Saturday, November 19, 2005

All Roads Lead To Rome

Since the weather has all of a sudden become rather cold in these parts, my thoughts have strayed back to my last holiday where the temperature was distinctly warmer.

Yes, after spending a surprisingly small amount of time off this island that is Great Britian, I finally got over to mainland Europe again for my first visit to Italy. Fi and I met up with Steve and Rachel in Rome where we spent four days in total.

I've always loved classical history ("I Claudius" marathons in high school anybody?), so seeing many of the sites that I've studied was a genuine thrill. We did our best to cover as much as possible, but honestly there is just so much to see you cannot do it full justice. We also had some fantastic evenings, eating wonderful food and knocking back the red wine while catching up with old friends.

Rome is a wonderful city to wander about in. I loved how the classical architecture blends seemlessly with the modern, how Romans madly drive around in their scooters, how the coffee lived up to its reputation. But visit outside of August if you can - it's bloody hot.

The Roman Forum
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Trevi Fountain
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Colosseum
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Pantheon
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

No comments: