Saturday, December 22, 2007

I Heart Jens Lekman

I recently went to see Josh Rouse play at the QMU, and while the guy is pretty good, I felt like I was crashing a party since I was really there to see a rare UK performance by the brilliant Jens Lekman. I can safely say his "Night Falls Over Kortedala" was my favourite and most-played album of the year. What's not to like: the crooner voice with a hint of a Swedish accent, the samples of old pop songs, the unexpected beats, and the lyrics! He's like the indie-pop Buck 65 with the stories he tells, such as "And you pick up your asthma inhaler and put it against your lips/oh those lips I loved, that I was dreaming of, they're still red and soft, I'm so sorry I didn't love you enough". Funny, cute and poignant at the same time.

Somehow he was even better live, in this case just him and a guitar and a blonde playing bongos. Half an hour was just a tease. Might have to make a wee trip to the continent to catch him in his own show.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Did you ever see this: http://www.slate.com/id/2176205/nav/tap3/

Matt Wilson said...

I hadn't - excellent article, and couldn't agree more!

Anonymous said...

I was starting to wonder if this was my brother's blog instead! A good album indeed.

Anonymous said...

Wait... it is. Nevermind, this will only make sense to one person. Me.