Tuesday, July 15, 2003

T in the Park

A music festival is a funny thing. When the initial list of bands appears, you begin to make mental schedules of those you plan to see. Then you receive the actual time schedule which ensures you need to make several cuts. Among my cuts (tragically): The Streets, The Music, Turin Brakes, The Roots and The Flaming Lips.

I suppose in theory I could have caught part of these sets. With five stages, I could have legged it away from one stage halfway through a set to catch the second half of another elsewhere. But music festivals are like travelling. Do you want to see a lot of places in a short period of time? Or see less but have more time to appreciate what you are seeing? I took the latter approach.

One choice was made for me. The day before they were scheduled to play, the White Stripes pulled out. Ostensibly this due to a minor car crash where Jack White broke a finger. Apparently nothing to do with weeks of a rumoured split of the band says the Record Company.

Hold on - I thought a seven nation army couldn't hold you back?



No comments: