Tuesday, July 15, 2003

The Top Five

T in the Park ruled. If I'm still in Scotland this time next year (I can hear my Mom cringing already), I'll definitely be back. I mean - reasonably priced (and cold) pints, beautiful mountain views, and chicks showing off their assets. Oh, and kick-ass music too.
The top five bands I saw, and in no particular order, are:

1. Har Mar Superstar
The Concept: Fat, balding dude with a mullet who strips down to his underwear, sweats like a madman and sings 70's funk. At the end of his set, he humbly told us to "give it up for me, I'm fucking awesome". And we did.

2. The Polyphonic Spree
The Concept: 24 guys in white robes who sing happy music about sunshine and positive thinking, with a Brian Wilson vibe. I went for the hype. I came out a convert. If you have a chance to catch their show, don't deny yourself.

3. Super Furry Animals
Great harmonies, killer hooks. Listen to the brilliance of Juxtaposed With U and you'll love them too. Plus they dress up like yetis.

4. The Thrills
An Irish band who wrote their album on the beaches of California. Sounds a little like Sloan, but with more of a dream-pop vibe. And they're gonna be BIG!

5. Teenage Fanclub
Veteran guitar rock band with killer harmonies who do pop songs that bring tears to the eye. And they are Scottish, so they were honoured (rightly) as gods. Brilliant.

Oh yeah, and Coldplay was good too.

No comments: