Tuesday, September 16, 2003

I Think I’m Turning Japanese

The tone was set while mindlessly watching Saturday morning TV over a bowl of cereal. Rather than the usual kiddie fare, I happened across a news program on BBC2 discussing the rise in popularity of sushi in the UK. I was entranced by images of sushi chefs skilfully preparing maki and nigiri, and was bowled over by a wave of nostalgia as I fondly remembered the excellent sushi restaurants that I frequented in Toronto. The craving had set in.

Part of my Saturday ritual involves stopping into the local coffeehouse (the most excellent Bean Scene) for a latte and a read of the paper. The first article I came across profiled a cult television programme that was sweeping Japan. Later I accompanied Fiona to a gift shop, and the first thing that struck my eye was imported incense from Japan.

After returning home, while burning my newly purchased incense, it was decided that we would hit the town on Sunday for a movie and a sushi meal. The latter normally wouldn’t be such a big deal, but finding affordable sushi in Glasgow is not the easiest of tasks. Luckily for us, Fiona had discovered a restaurant called Oko in Glasgow’s Merchant City that has an all-you-can-eat-in-one-hour sushi deal on Sunday for £15. A little expensive, but I took all the previous Japanese references of the day to be a sign that we could not say no. Or an excuse by which I could justify the expense to myself. Whatever.

Regardless, the next day we were off to the cinema, and what better flick to catch than the Japanese anime Spirited Away. I think it would be out on video back home by now, but in the UK it has just started showing on the big screen and the papers have been full of glowing reviews. I thought it was a visually beautiful film, though I felt that perhaps some of the story was lost in translation. However, it was still highly enjoyable, a perfect Sunday afternoon film, and fit ever so nicely into the Japanese theme of the weekend.

As for the buffet, Oko is modelled after the modern, fast food variety of sushi restaurants in Japan where you sit around a counter by a conveyor belt and take small plates of sushi as they go by. When it is all-you-can-eat you don’t have to worry about the usual “blue plate is more expensive than green plate but less expensive than red plate” concerns, and really go for it. Maki, dumplings, teriyaki chicken – it all danced by on the conveyor and I was in what could best be described as sushi heaven. Though perhaps I should have paced myself better as I was bursting at the seams half-an-hour into my hour allotment. With about five minutes left to go, and well after the point where I had thought I could eat no more, all of a sudden a mysterious purple plate came around the bend. And what do I see on the plate but four pieces of salmon sashimi. As this was the first sign of sashimi that I had seen this night, I could not resist. Despite a few grumbled complaints, my stomach kindly made some additional room and I finished my meal off with the sweet texture and taste of sashimi and waddled home a happy man. Arigatou, Japan - you made my weekend.

No comments: