Sunday, September 28, 2003

It's All About Timing

After months of discussing the idea, a trip to Iceland has finally been arranged and booked. In a few weeks time I shall be on a plane to Reykjavik to see first-hand the home of Bjork and Sigur Ros.

However, no sooner was this trip booked than I was given an opportunity to take a 6-week contract to work in the Falkland Islands. Granted, the Falklands were not high on my list of places to visit, but if one is offered an all-expenses paid trip to go and a salary, it is certainly something worth considering. But since it conflicts with the Iceland trip, it proved to be a no-go this time. But I am told there might be another opportunity in November. We shall see.

And just the other day, it was announced that Toronto's Broken Social Scene is coming to Glasgow for a gig in October. This, much to my chagrin, is also occuring during the time I will be in Iceland. If it turns out that Stars are opening for them, I may just weep. Och well, you can't have it all!

Last Monday, I came across a strange sight - that being a bottle of Labatt Ice at the hotel pub. I couldn't resist ordering one, and while it still tasted like gnat piss, I felt I had to represent the homeland. My sacrifice.

What's old is new again! According to this article, the toy expected to sell the most this Christmas in the UK will be Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles action figures (apparently "Hero Turtles" no longer). The Real Ghostbusters are surely next?

No comments: